RUN OUT SPACE (Root)

Dear Buddies,
Plz Help me out ,,,,,, the Unix Servers i m working on ,,,Somes times run out of space in root ,,,due the generation of a file named STA ....which causes the system to crash ,,,,,

plz hlp me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how to find out the file ....generation causes ......

aamir

When the file STA is being created/updated, use

fuser -fu

to check the pid that is writing to the file. Then use

ps -ef | grep the_pid_you_got

to get the command that is writing to the file.

Once you get that, find who or what is running this command and either stop it from being run or change the destination directory of this STA file that it writes to.

Dear Blowtorch,
Thanks for u reply, but the basic problem is that , u do not have enough time to check it , when the file generates it takes within few seconds and ur root runs out of space....which causes the server to crash.

regards

Dear Blowtorch,
Thanks for u reply, but the basic problem is that , u do not have enough time to check it , when the file generates it takes within few seconds and ur root runs out of space....which causes the server to crash.

regards

If this happens the same time every day, the look at crontab entries that has that time or less (if it happens at 9:13 check for entries back to 8:30). If it happens at different times in the day, then after checking for crontab entries (for all users) for multiple runs, start your own cron job that outputs the processes running every minute - you should be able to catch the process that way (after rebooting the server and looking at your output).

Check with your application support - see if they know what this STA file is for.
Check with your OS support for the same.

Check that you don't have /tmp as part of your / partition. If possible, move it so you can keep your server up long enough to catch the process.

A way to 'fix' - create the STA file in / - set permission on it so no one can write to it OR set it as a link to /dev/null. Not really a 'fix', but will keep your server up.

hi ,

how can i hide the user name and password in a script during FTP

hlp me out !

Please read our rules and note:
(4) Do not 'bump up' questions if they are not answered promptly. No duplicate or cross-posting and do not report a post where your goal is to get an answer more quickly.

Please stop the same questions over and over. I don't know what you expect here. That file is not being created by a standard unix program. You apparently can't do anything to investigate the issue. You are not likely to get a satisfying answer.