Rsync with --delete but do not delete peer dirs on target

rsync with --delete won't honor the delete if the source is something/*. I want the delete to work, but not to delete directories on the target that are peer to the intended directory. For example, using these source and target file structures:

Source on desktop:

~/
    Money/
        some_files
    Friends/
        more_files

Target on laptop:

~/
    Money/
        some_files
    Friends/
        other_files

The goal is for rsync, with the --delete option, to sync ~/Money/some_files between the desktop and the laptop, BUT

I do not want rsync to delete or even update ~/Friends/ or ~/Friends/other_files on the laptop.

I have not found the magic invocation yet. Any help? I can offer a cold homebrew for a good solution!

Your words describe this structure

Money/
        some_files
        Friends/
            other_files 

Look for suitable options in man rsync , for example
--exclude=Friends is promising.

I'm really sorry. That was careless. I have corrected the original entry. The next to last sentence now reads:
"I do not want rsync to delete or even update ~/Friends/ or ~/Friends/other_files on the laptop."

---------- Post updated at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:19 AM ----------

... and I'll check out the --exclude=Friends idea. Thanks.

Then I do not understand your problem.
You simply run rsync on Money/ and it won't touch Friends/.

The --exclude=Money/ did the trick. I also missed the subtle difference between Friends and Friends/. Friends moves the actual directory; Friends/ moves only the contents of the directory. Thanks hugely for your help.