RPM and dependencies OPENSSH

Hello

Sorry, I am not to well versed in RHE and I am having some issues.
I have doen a cursury look around and could not find an answer.

I have 2 RHE4 servers. Both have old versions of OPENSSH along with , server, askpass, askpass-gnome, etc.

I cannot upgrade to our new pkg release of openssh (internal) because of all the dependencied for each of these.

Is --nodeps a safe solution and upgrade each package indivudually? Should I just remove each and install new? A better solution?

Thanks in advance
Mike

I cannot upgrade to our new pkg release of openssh (internal) because of all the dependencied for each of these.
[/quote]

Use up2date and get the latest.

Do you really think that would be wise? That is the reason there are dependences, because the program requires other software to work properly.

Lazydog,

You might want to put the error dependencies here that you are encountering. Maybe we can give you advise. I advise you not tp use the --nodeps it may hunt you in the future.

Cheers!

Unfortunately, I am deleted the /var/log/messages and /usr/bin/last files, after that i touch those files but not working still now help me

yours
thakshina

The files I need to update:

# ls
openssh-5.1p1.hpn13v5-1.i386.rpm
openssh-askpass-5.1p1.hpn13v5-1.i386.rpm
openssh-askpass-gnome-5.1p1.hpn13v5-1.i386.rpm
openssh-clients-5.1p1.hpn13v5-1.i386.rpm
openssh-server-5.1p1.hpn13v5-1.i386.rpm

=========================================================
What happens when I try:

# rpm -U openssh-5.1p1.hpn13v5-1.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
openssh = 3.6.1p2-33.30.3 is needed by (installed) openssh-clients-3.6.1p2-33.30.3
openssh = 3.6.1p2-33.30.3 is needed by (installed) openssh-server-3.6.1p2-33.30.3
openssh = 3.6.1p2-33.30.3 is needed by (installed) openssh-askpass-3.6.1p2-33.30.3
openssh = 3.6.1p2-33.30.3 is needed by (installed) openssh-askpass-gnome-3.6.1p2-33.30.3

Another:

# rpm -U openssh-askpass-5.1p1.hpn13v5-1.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
openssh = 5.1p1.hpn13v5-1 is needed by openssh-askpass-5.1p1.hpn13v5-1

When I try to upgrade ssh, all these others depend on the orig version of ssh, and the same if I try to update others before ssh.

old version of openssh is blocking the new one

you need telnet/console/rlogin access to the box

run rpm -qa | grep ssh

remove all installed openssh packages (rpm -e, can be done with --nodeps) , and install the new ones like you did

should work

(backup /etc/ssh or /etc/openssh )

Sorry, mis-quoted. I haven't the problem.

Open another thread with your issues. Please do not Hi-jack someone elses tread!

Why would you not want to remove the dependencies that you no long need? You should NEVER use the '--nodeps' flag unless you know what you are doing and what you can, and most likely will, break.

The correct solution is to remove all, including dependencies, and install freash.

rpm -e openssh

This will remove all the file including the dependencies. Then you just install the new version.

Windoze users, please.

mhenryj, why are you not using up2date to update your system?

rpm -e openssh will fail with dependency-errors

when the only thing you want to remove is ssh, and to only problem while removing/updating is the program itself, client/server/source packages/dev packages of it, then you can remove it with nodeps, or go through the chain like

rpm -e openssh
> dep error opensshclient
rpm -e opensshclient
>deperror opensshserver
rpm -e opensshserver
rpm -e opensshclient
rpm -e openssh

or just do it with nodeps

(just a sample, don't know if its really like this in this case)

but you are right, it's always safer to delete without nodeps

Edit: and lazydog, I think you misunderstand the meaning of --nodeps, it doesn't mean it's not removing dependencies, it means it doesn't check for them
rpm -e without "--nodeps" won't remove dependencies too

You are correct, it should have been 'rpm -e openssh*'.

You are correct and I apologize. (I'll remove my foot now)