Routing

ok i configured my gateway and IP address(es) using ifconfig and route.. but how can i bind unique IPs to users ? (im using FreeBSD 4.2 RELEASE #3)

What do you mean by "bind unique IPs to users"?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

ex: i have a user named John... he has his home dir /usr/home/John.. i want to reserve a unique IP from my gateway to John so John can run his own daemon with a every-port-free IP (Sorry for my bad English)

So let me see if I am understanding you correctly. You mean you want a user to be able to start his own daemon for something in your machine? If this is the case, you don't need an IP address for him. He can use any unused port on your server.:confused:

Then... what if two user want to use same port on the same machine ?! how can i give them their unique IPs to run the daemons on the port which they want...

Wait a second....:rolleyes:

First of all... what exactly are you trying to accomplish here? What is this daemon these users want to run?

:confused:

For an example IRCd daemons... they usually uses ports 6663-7000...

I think you may be wanting virtual IP addresses, right?
Same machine / network card, multiple IP addresses...

Yes, this is what i want to say

You can assign to a network card multiple addresses in a manner like that [on FreeBSD 4.x]:
ifconfig xl0 alias 192.168.0.32 [netmask 255.255.255.224]
ifconfig xl0 alias 192.168.0.64 [netmask 255.255.255.224]

If you want that your machine to have at next boot configured the specified network card with multiple IP addresses edit the /etc/rc.conf file and add a line like this for every IP:
ifconfig_interface_name_alias0 192.168.0.1 netmask [netmask]
ifconfig_interface_name_alias1 .... & so on