root - "Account is disabled"

Hi.

I have an issue with root account. System doesn't let me to log on, because accound is disabled/locked.

This problem since I have converted passwords file to data base using SAM.

I didn't change user's parameters.

Somebody knows how can i enable my root account back?

What system is it?
For a start - Is it a server? and do you have a real console connected to it?
In which case if you know the password but the root account is locked then you can unlock by logging in to the console as root.

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

The system is J5000 workstation. It has display adapter, so I'm working locally.
This system is in role of home computer and is not any kind of server and etc.

I think that system is switched to trusted mode.
Accidentally, I tryed to input root password few times with capslock on and the accound is disabled now.

Please read the faqs before posting a question. We get this one a lot...

Thanks for reply.

How can I access system console? Normal console login gives the same message about the disabled account.

A J5000? so you dont have a true console... And there is no easy way for recovering...
Either you find a terminal to plug to the J500 serial port then reboot but you have to interrupt the process to change the console fron video card to serial port...

You are in all cases to go through a reboot
So reboot in single user, mount /usr and use modprpw -k command
then reboot again...

Thanks.

I used another computer as terminal for serial port. However the same issue after boot.

Please excuse me for a little dummy question. How can I boot in single user? There is no Lilo/Palo/Grub?

I mentionned:
find a terminal to plug to the J500 serial port then reboot but you have to interrupt the process to change the console from video card to serial port... Use a cross cable to connect and check you communicate via the terminal...

stop the J5000 from booting at pdc

boot pri

interact with isl

yes

see if you can get into singleuser mode (I think if my memory serves me? Perderabo help? ( Im in aix / TSM server bad trip at the moment...))
ISL > hpux -is

I've never used a J5000, but here is the manual: http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv38352/lpv38352.pdf

Chapter 8 is booting. I don't think that you "plug a terminal" into a workstation. But all I can do is read the manual.

Thank you very much vbe and Perderabo.

With your help I managed to boot in single user and run modprpw -k.

But now there are two new issues, that are related to that change:

1. When it try to login and type root with password, system wtites "Login incorrect". However I can do su command from other account and it works.
  2. Also after a normal boot I don't get GUI logon, just textual console.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Looks like PermitRootLogin is set to no. Only thing is that I'm unsure where or how to change it on an HP-UX :o

I believe you have a /etc/securetty file saying root can connaect only at the console but unfortunately you dont have one...
Sorry for the typing Im half way blind and trying nmy bewst...
So for the moment I would suggest you (you will not survive without...) you install sudo if bnot done already and configure your account to be able to execute all commands as root
then as root execute sam -r and give all privilege for all...
this will allow in case of problem to shoutdown the box... and reboot single user if needed...

the rest we will see later with help of others... if I can see what Im typinf

Thank you very much vbe.

I'll look at /etc/securetty file and try sudo. Btw, when I'm making su, I can execute all commands.

The main problem to solve now, is returning the graphics mode. I have checked network settings, all shall be right, and I didn't change nothing there. As far as I recall, I don't have graphics logon since I runned tty command or something like that.

I forgot to mention why sudo...
If the root account is disabled you will not be able to su anymore...