rlogin help!

Guys, I'm running solaris 9 on two systems: 1 and 2, let's say.

From 1, if I say

rlogin 2

, i can just login. No passwd prompt!
From 2, if I say

rlogin 1

, it asks for the passwd. (able to login with a passwd)

But, they both have the same config files, same set up, same network etc.
What am I missing here? Why is one asking for it and the other one isn't?

I would say they haven't the same configuration files (/etc/host.equiv, ~/.rhosts).

Do both reverse lookups on the servers' addresses work from both servers?

@jlliagre: .rhosts is fine. I need to check for the host.equiv

@Smiling Dragon: Reverse lookup fails on both!! How do I fix it??

Sorry, that should read "/etc/hosts.equiv". Also make sure all hosts are set in the respective /etc/hosts files.

You can fix reverse lookup issues in a hurry (and rather ugly) by adding the servers to your /etc/hosts files.

Or you can put the IP addresses instead of hostnames in your hosts.equiv file.

Edit: Oh, the /etc/hosts this is pretty much what jlliagre just said :o

Ok. But my /etc/hosts has these entries:

192.168.1.1 system1
192.168.1.2 system2

I'm not at work so I can't look at that hosts.eqiv for the next 12 hrs. I'll get back to you after that!

Thanks guys!

You have to check the hosts file on the rsh server side, not only on the client one.
More generally, the hosts must be correctly set in a configured backend database, that might be files, DNS, NIS, ldap depending on the configuration. Nothing ugly there.

Weak permissions on hosts.equiv (not sure about .rhosts) might also cause the issue.

In any case, rlogin is doomed and ssh should be installed and used instead.

Well, these two are test systems. I installed the OS myself on them. They have only ldap. The DNS and NIS are not set-up or configured! Could that be a reason?

They don't have only ldap, they likely also have local files set for naming backend databases.

Missing client entry in the problem server might indeed be a reason why rlogin prompts for a password.

Alright. Thanks jlliagre. I've got to check thoroughly then, after I get back to work.

---------- Post updated 10-30-09 at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-29-09 at 08:54 PM ----------

/etc/hosts.equiv, .rhosts all have the network info, they look fine but system1 is still asking for a passwd from system2 if I do rlogin. I'm stuck and don't know how to proceed from here!

When logged from system2 to system1, run the "who am i" command and post its output.

root pts/5 Oct 30 13:11 (system2)

---------- Post updated at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:15 PM ----------

Is it supposed to show system1 because I remotely logged into system1??
Even from system1, If I rlogin to system2 I get similar info

root pts/5 Oct30 13:11 (system1)

Maybe you have something in /etc/nsswitch.conf file?.. Please post it's content