RHEL/Linux Small Monitor

Hi,

I'm using RHEL 4.5, and currently due to some special circumstances that required me to use this small monitor about 7"

The problem is while using this monitor with windows, the monitor able to show the graphic/view.. but while using redhat it unable to detect. This monitor has no specific brand.

I already tried to use other driver or VESA try to change resolution to 800x600 and 640x400 logout and login back.. but somehow this monitor still unable to show anything... or unable to detect. Is there any specific driver or maybe someway to solve this problem?

Thank You in advance..

You should just have to customize /etc/X11/xorg.conf. What error messages are you getting in /var/log/Xorg.0.log? What graphics card are you using?

Do you have to have a GUI? If so you could use another machine as an Xserver and the RHEL machine with the 7" monitor as a client for your X apps.

Here is how to do this:

From a machine with a good monitor do this:

$ xhost +
$ ssh -X username@rhel_server
$ /usr/bin/x_application_binary

hi,

yes I need an GUI.. currently I use KVM it can works, but when I switch to this 7" monitor it unable to detect.

because when I want to go to my site we dont have any monitor there.. so we need to bring this 7" monitor but the problem is it unable to detect.. I need to use GUI..

I have modified xorg.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf but it only applies in my kvm.. but when it comes to this 7" monitor it unable to detect.. sad :frowning:

Have you tried one of the tools that walks you through X configuration? I think the NVIDIA video drivers come with a tool to do this. If not there are some other tools out there that can walk you through xorg configuration via command line. How are you connecting your KVM and monitor?

type xrandr to view the available resolutions. To set a resolution type xrandr -s 800x600

You keep telling us it is unable to detect the 7 inch monitor but you are not telling us what error messages you are getting.

Have you tried Xorg -configure or X -probeonly? What output are you getting?

Hi,

sorry if I did not specified clearly about my situation.

Currently all my servers connected through KVM, so actually I have this separate 7" monitor that I will bring down to my other working place which don't have any monitor.

The problem that I'm having when I plug in the monitor directly to server, the monitor just did not detect or did not show anything. but if I plug in the KVM to server, I can see the GUI.. KVM able to show anything, the problem is this 7" monitor did not show anything or "output out of range.." something like that..

I tried with windows laptop connect to this 7" monitor it was fine.