RHEL 5.0 vs RHEL 6.0

marching into the new version of RHEL 6.0...

other than ext4 and /boot can be ext4 and "/" root filesystem can be encrypted...I can't see much more new features that are quite significant and practical than RHEL 5.0, kernel is still 2.6.18.xxxx

I wonder if it has newer tools to manage SAN-Luns...

One minor annoyance in eariler version of RHEL,

I remember in RHEL5.0, you will have to use the HBA tools to manage the LUNs or whatever tools that come if your storage array eg: HDLM for HDS system , to manage the LUNs..I wonder RHEL6.0 now would have its own tools now regardless what storage arrays and HBAs you would use..

Can anyone comments ?? :confused::slight_smile:

RHEL 6 uses the 2.6.32 kernel. It has many improvements in virtualization technology, better algorithms for time sharing between processes, replaces SysVinit with Upstart (in a backwards compatible way) and includes various improvements to LVM. We've rarely had to use vendor tools to manage LUNs, even on RHEL 5 (with the single exception of IBM XIV) since LUN management is handled mostly automatically by dm-multipath. RHEL 6 does have a new script called "rescan-scsi-bus.sh" to scan for and activate newly connected SAN LUNs. Go to docs.redhat.com and look up the RHEL 6 Release Notes and Technical Notes for a full list of all of the enhancements and fixes.

Funny that rescan-scsi-bus.sh is considered new, as SUSE has been using it for some time.

Another thing that RHEL 6.0 does better is YUM support as well as issues relating to network receive side scaling.

YOU ROCKING MARK

---------- Post updated at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:39 AM ----------

HI MARK

HELP ME PLEAS

HOW TO COUNT NO OF COLUMNS IN THE FLAT FILE , IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMAND LET ME KNOW

THANKS!
RAFI

Hello Rafimd1985,

Please do not ask new questions in existing threads. Unless you have new information to a particular problem, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Also, please search the forums first, as it might be that someone has already posted an answer for a similar problem.

Best regards,
The UNIX and Linux Forums