RH8.0 firewall WILL NOT turn off

I have been trying to disable the firewall on a new install of RH8(Psyche). It will NOT stay disabled. I've gone thru system tools, security level and disabled it, and it says YES, like it will save my settings, but when i open it up again, it is always back to HIGH. I also tried using the LOKKIT package, and it does teh same thing, will not change. Anyone know HOW i can change this, is there a specific file I can edit at command line and vi and edit the settings rather than going thru this gui that doesn't seem to work? I'm going in as root, so don't know why it won't work. Thanks for any help! :slight_smile:

kym

I had big problems with SuSE Firewall - it kept locking one of my boxes on startup.

I just removed the S and K files from the appropriate run level directories (on SuSE /etc/rc.d/rc5.d). That stopped the stupid thing from starting.

Don't know if RedHat Firewall starts in a similar manner, I have never used it.

Ta,
ZB

chkconfig iptables off, as root should do it.

If it still comes back you could follow zazzybob's advice and perhaps put 'service iptables stop' in rc.local to be extra thorough.

Or to add to that: you could try the command:
chkconfig --level 35 iptables off

to remain off when upon system startup on run-levels 3 and 5.
You can check that they're off with the command:
chkconfig --list | grep iptables
and/or
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables status

if the 'service iptables status' command doesn't work for you.

(You can turn back on again with chkconfig --level 35 iptables on).

This should have the same effect as removing the S*iptables out of /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/ which simply starts this service when you switch into this run-level.