Returning Strings from C program to Unix shell script

There is no "post 93" ksh as the version from 93 is the latest up to now.

Even in ksh88 backticks were included (per David Korns own admission) to be backwards compatible with the Bourne shell.

Still i can fully understand that using a 19 year old standard software is way too risky. You don't use English on your system but Latin, yes? ;-))

bakunin

I simply standardise on sh in my scripts for portability among a wide range of operating systems. There was a long period when ksh was not part of the standard install on Linux.

Ok, i have to admit: my initial reaction was peppered with some sarcasm.

(@porter: I do hope you were not offended and took it in the humurous mood it was offered. If not: I'm sorry.)

I think this is raising an interesting question deserving a deeper discussion, so if anyone is interested I'd like to suggest a discussion about (working title):

"How to achieve a maximum of standardization while at the same time recognizing newer developments in the Unix systems programming area?"

As it is i think this is way off-topic in this thread and I'd like to start it somewhere else. Any takers?

bakunin

Hi Bakunin,

I have used sprintf\(\) as told by you, but i'm unable to achieve the intended.  If you have any code snippet, can u please share it.

One more query, to write contents into a file line by line is it correct to open the file with mode "a+b" i.e . filepointer = fopen(filename,"a+b");

Please help me out.

Thanks & Regards
Venkatesh.

Hi Venkatesh,

I have posted a 3-step-recipe on how to do it. please post what you have written and tell us exactly what did not work with it. I *am* trying to help you but I won't write your code for you.

bakunin