Resizing a disk

I'm used to using AIX but a new box running Solaris I need a little help with.

The disk are presented from a SAN, the disk needing to change is presented as 148GBs drive which was allocated to a file system as the same. I need to change that without losing any data. I know I can change the disk being presented at the SAN but how do I make Solaris recognize the change and use in the file system?

Current disk 148GB with a file system of 148GBs.
Need to change disk to be 300GBs and file system to reflect 300GBs.

Regards,
Ken

If you are using veritas as the volume manager, there should be some information in the manuals about that. I seem to recall a growfs command, but alas we not longer have our Solaris servers. I hope that this gives you something to follow up on.

Failing that, could you 'borrow' a disk from the SAN, move you data, drop & re-create the filesystem and then move your data back to realse the borrowed disk? Not the best, I'm sure, especially with a running system, but .......

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Actually, growfs is a native Solaris command that can be used to grow standard UFS file systems. With VXFS, the command would be vxresize.

1 Like

Ask your SAN admin to present another 300GB LUN and copy the contents of the 148GB LUN with cpio. Then you can give the 148GB LUN back to the SAN Admin.

Here's the cpio command (from the man page) I have used in the past to move large amounts of files/data from one location to another:

example% find . -depth -print | cpio -pdlmv newdir

HTH

What software are you using for volume management?

Why not growing the file system in place instead of this less efficient method ? (outside creating a backup first which is obviously a recommended practice).

Not wanting to start a flame war :confused: but the original post stated that the SAN size presented was 100% used. In that case I would not use use "growfs" to extend the fs past the end of the LUN. This solution was presented to assist with the problem presented.

It looks like we don't understand the same question. I believe the OP to mean a larger "disk" is to be presented by the same LUN. SAN disks are usually virtual and back-ended by some sort of raid/volume management on the storage side.