Reset lost superuser/root password in x86

I've come across this question during interview as Sys Adm.

"How you reset lost root/superuser password on x86 system running solaris (8/9/10) which remotely located. (Not locally in front of you)"

As much as I know, you must be physically in front of the server to reset the lost root/superuser password.

Any idea?

If you got option to boot the system from net in single user mode I am sure you can rectify the issue by mounting the disk on /a and modifying the /a/etc/shadow file.

thanks kumar,
i do agree to boot from net but given a situation where superuser password unknown to you & you unable to reboot/shutdown the server remotely using other account that allowed to shutdown/reboot the server. Without that we can't boot from net/cdrom then, right?

other possible way?

You may be interested to read this peice of info.

I had to do this once... so got this.... :b:

BigAdmin Description - Change Root Password

As on when I boot it from CDROM, it never ask for any password, and I think once you boot it from any server which is working as boot server I think ideally it shouldn't ask for password, because you are not logging to that system you are taking help of that system to boot some other system in environment . Isn't?

I am sure you are at the right place and you will be getting better view then mine