Reset environment - ".. /etc/.environment dev_env"

I have been resently working on some ksh script. One of the line in the file writes:
.. /etc/.environment dev_env
I can not understand what this mean, all I know is .environment is unix system environment file. Is ".." a command? If some one can give me some clue where can I find information to explain this line. Thanks in advance.

Does this script actually work? I tried this with ksh:

.. /etc/profile

gave me an error saying that "ksh: ..: cannot execute"

Which is right, as ksh does not interpret ".." the same as ".". ".." is the parent directory and that obviously cannot be executed.

You need add . in front of profile. Try .. /.profile. Thanks.

Are you saying that ". .. /.profile" will work? I don't think so. Get rid of that space between the ".." and the "/.profile".

I know this is from a real application. The line is
.. /etc/.environment dev_env
dot dot space then /etc/.environment. The .environment is a hiden system file, just like the profile you used in your trial. dot in the front of the files for all of sytem files, log, environment, ect. If you put .. /etc/.profile in unix, will it work?

Not in general. It is possible that a private .. command has been defined somehow. On the other hand, a single dot is the normal way to handle stuff like this. So real ap or no, I would suspect a typo.

I tried it using alias, and it works! Just a simple "alias ..=." allows you to run commands like .. /home/xyz/.profile. Talk about flexibility!

Thanks for your effort. If you can run . etc/.enviroment, does ". etc/.enviroment dev_env" mean copy environment file to dev_env? I believe dev_env is defined somewheren locally.

"Originally Posted by Perderabo
It is possible that a private .. command has been defined somehow. "

Or, put the question into the other way, if you want to reset your local environment by using .enviroment file, how do you do it?