remsh problem !

hi all ,
i am using remsh utility from a host to another , i did create an .rhosts in it the name of the second server and the user to use in it , then i changed permission to 600 .. it is still asking for password and i am using this for no password between 2 trusted servers we got also this message arrive when i was trying to test using uptime command but it is still giving me a

rsh asprod04 uptime
permission denied

does anyone can help me wth this problem

regards;
semaan

What are your servers (OS - version...)?
what error do get when trying only to remsh?

os : solaris 5.10 ... when i remesh i do get to enter password and that is what i am trying to avoid ...
when i remesh with any commaand it gives me permission denied

remsh biltst ls 
permission denied 

why even i created what i mentioned in .rhosts and right permission

But, on which computer?
I'm assuming that your remsh command works and that you can login when you provide the correct username and password.

The .rhosts file is used to give permissions to other users on other computers to have access to your account. It can also be used to give local users permissions.

So, if you want to remsh or rlogin from account1 on server1 to account2 on server2 , the .rhosts file goes in the home directory of account2 on server2 and contains a line "server1 account1". On server2 the command nslookup server1 must return the same server name as is in the .rhosts file (i.e. a reverse DNS lookup).

2 Likes