Remote access computer system as a whole not just desktop with GUI

Hi All,

I've been looking at various options at administering several servers remotely like:

• VNC (don't like the lax security of 8 characters max for a password) and

• NX (awesome piece of kit but still limited to a per desktop viewer)...

What I'm looking for is a GUI that essentially gives me access to the whole system
where I can switch from one user to another at will without having to logout of one
desktop and then into another.

Essentially, a real live environment where you can switch between users and back,
and from the login screen to any other user as if you were physically using the machine.

Is anybody aware of any app like this?
Thanks.

From your desktop you cannot use putty and the ssh protocol from your PC to get a root (or any user) screen in bash or ksh on the remote? I do it 50 times per week PC->Solaris, PC->ubuntu, etc.

Download PuTTY - a free SSH and telnet client for Windows

Once logged in to UNIX you should be able to ssh to another unix: unix->unix.

If this does not work please elaborate and show error messages so we can help

Thanks Jim,

I'm on Mac OSX (unfortunately).

MacOS putty: PuTTY SSH client for Mac OS X - Download, Tutorial | SSH.COM

Just open a terminal window, type ssh user@host and you are there. My "desktop" used to administrate ~500 servers is exactly that: lots of xterms with ssh-sessions in them (and an occasional Firefox window to read my documentation wiki or search the web).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

Thanks Bakunin.

I think ssh is definitely the way to go.

I would have liked to access my devices remotely with a GUI and
discovered that openssh-server does exactly this. Problem solved.

Also, I believe you can use RSA style crypto key pairs as a means
to log into the server. This setup is ideal. Thanks for help.

Exactly. You don't need a GUI remotely because you have one at your desktop already. What i like to do is to have xterms with the ssh-calls for certain important server/user combinations predefined. For instance: i use a certain server and user for maintaining my self-created packages which i use for deployment. For this server i have predefined (as an entry in my window managers menu) the command:

xterm -fg rgb:20/D0/C0 -bg rgb:30/30/50 -cr wheat -fn rom14 -geometry 80x40 -T 'packageserver' -ls -e ssh packageadm@packageserver"

So i just click on that and a window pops open, with a certain colour so that its pupose stands out, the respective window title and logged in already with the correct user.

Yes. I use this feature heavily because i have no intention to enter my password manually 1000 times a day. I store the (passwordless) keys on my local machine and use that as my "jump server" to the rest of the infrastructure.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

Awesome.
Excellent advice.