Reinstalling AIX 4.3 on IBM RS6000

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie in Unix world..
Currently in my office lies an old IBM RS6000 which hasn't been maintained for a very long time. The former admin has resigned and we don't have any documentation or whatsoever regarding the old machine. All I know that it is an RS6000 is because of what's written on the box. :o
Also I've checked that the OS is AIX 4.3.

My boss told me to do a fresh install on the machine.
I have no idea what to do or even where to start.
Can anybody share a step by step guide on how to do the installation?
Are there any checklists need to be done before, during, and after installation?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Michael

I'll start from redbook : IBM @server p5 and pSeries Administration and Support for AIX 5L V5.3 Chapter 3. If you want fresh install look for AIX5.3 licence (should work on Your boxes)

Have you got the AIX OS install CDs?

4.3 went out of support ages ago, even 5.1 and 5.2 are out of support now.

What model is it? There should be a little sticker on the front with something like the following on it, or run the command 'prtconf | head' for more info:

The sticker will have tiny writing and show something like:

70xx-yyy
zz-abc12

Or:

Type 70xx
zz-abc12

where 70xx is the machine type
yyy is the model
zz-abc123 is the serial number.

The machine type and model will help us to let you know what your options are.

hello dukessd & borek,
thanks for the response.

@borek
are you suggesting that i can and should install v5.3 ?

@dukessd
well, i did managed to find the CD installer for 4.3 after rummaging my boss' drawer :D. that's why my boss told me to re-install on version 4.3.
These are what written on several stickers on the front side:
43P Model 150
Type 7043
604e 375Mhz

What can I do with these?

The 43p 150 will support AIX levels from AIX 4.3.2 up to AIX 5.3.

If you decide to go for a later level make sure your firmware is up to date before you try the AIX install.

For firmware and AIX fixes - even the latest AIX 4.3.3 updates are still available:
IBM Support: Fix Central
Start with the product group of system p.

If you have the disks then load up 4.3 and have a play.

The AIX 4.3 command reference is no longer available on the IBM web site, as far as I know, but this site has a copy (and is much faster then the IBM site anyway):
AIX Version 4.3 Base Documentation

Have fun, oh, and welcome to the world of unix, I hope you enjoy your experience.