Redistribution bin required for AIX. j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin

Hi,
I am planning to install a version of Informatica on my AIX box. It requires a specific java build in pap6470_27sr2-20141101_01(SR2) .
The current link for IBM 64-bit SDK for AIX�, JavaTM Technology Edition, Version 7 Release 1 has a more recent version in j7r164redist.7.1.0.75.bin.

Is there anywhere I can get this particular redistribution file j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin?

Found that this version of java is available in IV65388.tar. But this file has only bff files. I would be needing a bin file.

I need to install this java in up to 9 boxes. Its far easier having a bin file as I don't have root/installp privileges.

Please advice if I can find j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin somewhere.

Thank You.

The bff files can be 'unpacked' with the command

restore -Tqf "filename" # Listing of what is in bff - backup file format

restore -xqf "filename" # extract the archive

As these are probably installp files the layout may look a bit strange, but hopefully you will be able to get what you need.

Hope this helps!

Michael

1 Like

are you sure, you want to have an old java version? ask your security guys, they will be definitely happy with it.

anyway - if you want to install IBM JDK, you need root access. The bin-file you mentioned is just self-extraction archive with bff files. I hope, I'm wrong, but at least it was so. And for bff-installation you need root rights to run installp.

Thanks for the update MichaelFelt. I did restore the files. But when I did this in the past, the Informatica(ETL product) installation threw lot of issues. What worked for me was the bin files. They put Java at the place that I wanted and did not cause any issues. It was easily portable and helped a lot considering I had to install in over 15 instances.

agent.kgb. The Informatica installation looks for a specific patch set of Java. I wish they shipped that version with their product, but they don't. The root access for installing bff is a nightmare here. It would take me atleast 2 days and bunch of coordination to get that done.

Can I just extract the bff and copy the contents. Would .bin do the same thing or is there something else happening under the covers? Please advice.

Thanks a lot for the input guys.

I think, I have some other "Informatica(ETL product)" on one of the clients' system:

$ ./java -fullversion
java full version JRE 1.7.0 IBM AIX build pap6470_27sr2fp10-20141218_02(SR2 FP10)
$ lslpp -L Java71_64.jre
  Fileset                      Level  State  Type  Description (Uninstaller)
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Java71_64.jre             7.1.0.75    C     F    Java SDK 64-bit Java Runtime
                                                   Environment

I will not post ps -ef to show, that Informatica really runs on that system. We, roots, are very evil sometimes :smiley:

1 Like