redhat 7.1 alpha

Oh my head hurts...I installed RH6.2 & RH7.1 but still get error upon boot. "depmod: can't open /lib/modules/2.4.3-12BOOT/modules.dep for writing"

Box:Compaq Pro wkst XP1000

Your thoughts?

modules.dep

Does the file exist on your system? Does the directory? Try creating the directory if not.

Cuzz, thanks! The obvious didn't even occur to me. I left out "file or folder not found" or something like that.

/lib/modules/2.4.3-12 existed after the install, but needed dir /lib/modules/2.4.3-12BOOT and the dep file created? Why is this?

most times you get an message liek you have it means you have installed a kernel with version xx.xx.xxBOOT. these kind of kernels are ment to boot up your system from a cd rom and not ment for normal use (ofcourse it can not give any huge problems but they are not ment to be :slight_smile: ).
so try to install a good kernel and he has no troubles more with these dependencies

jurrien, you were right on the money. I was still booting from the floppy cause I didn't know how to get aboot on HD. Once that was done, all errors gone. A few things noted, when I was booting off the floppy I had no eth0 initialization and no mounting capabilities to the cdrom. I was trying to install a good kernel, but could not get the cdrom mounted. I guess booting of the generic floppy kernel, you will not have access to certain resources. Thanks again guys!