Recovery error : mit_hdpart0 failed

Hi,
I'm a new user of unix sco open server.
In my work place i had to recover a sco openserver backup into another PC but when i'm trying to do that i got this error message ::wall:
dparm: write ioctl failed: No such device or address
Invalid entry
mit_hdpart0 failed
Fatal Error: A critical disk initialization
utility has failed on the primary disk.
Error: /mitram/lib/mit_hd has failed, exiting with state FAIL

** Safe to Power Off **
-or-
** Press Any Key to Reboot **

----------- aditional information
using IDE HARD
Two computers are diffrent

Thank you and in advance please

How was the backup created, and what command(s) are you using to restore it?.

Unfortunately i don't have enough information about that, restoring backup works well when two computers are the same but when the PC is diffrent that error message happens.

If the backup is an image file of the original disk, then it may require the target to have the same disk geometry, or at least have the same number or sectors per track.
Can you explain the process of doing the restore (eg, I boot from, (hard disk 0, a dvd, a diskette) then run the following commands?

1 Like

Restoring process that i am using:
1-changing boot priority to : first boot from DVD-ROM
2-Restarting PC to boot from DVD
3-Screen that shows :
SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5
BOOT
:
[waiting for commands]
4-when i press Enter key this commands apears:
fd(64)unix root=ram(7) ram.preload=7 swap=none dump=none nbuf=3 ram.fd=254 mem=1m-16, 16m-2048m ramdisk=fd(64)rootFS

Sizing memory
.................................................................................
[Continues to error happened]

---------- Post updated at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:07 AM ----------

Can you explain how can i found this options on right pc and using them on diffrent pc?
thank you

Add a boot prompt option.
Overriding the root disk geometry stored in the BIOS

You can find the disk geometry in the CMOS settings, or the specifications for the hard disk.
SCO works best with the physical settings rather than LBA

1 Like

It worked fine.
Thank u :cool:

Something I forgot to mention.
If you reboot the new system, you will have to continue to use the biosgeom boot prompt until you run "dparam" and permanently replace the parameters.

1 Like

Thank you very much dear jgt
i have another problem now,
in another PC when i'm trying to define a new boot stream this error was happend.how can i fix it?!

SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5
BOOT
: defbootstr biosgeom=(9733,255,63)
fd(60)defbootstr biosgeom(9733,255,63) ram.fd=254
defbootstr not not found

Thank you

Either the file /etc/default/boot is missing, or the file "/etc/default/boot" in the /stand file system is missing. See the man page for boot.

1 Like

Can u explain that briefly,Please? , because i am new user in this type of OS.:frowning:
Please tell me what i must to do.
Thanks;)

---------- Post updated at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:28 AM ----------

I mention that boot is from backup DVD.

The file containing the boot strings is missing from the dvd. You will have to modify the backup process so that the file is added to the dvd.
The alternative is to remove the word "defbootstr" from the bootstring as you will not likely need it anyway.

1 Like

DVD backup have no missing file because i tested it in original pc and do every thing well.
When i put the DVD in a new harwared pc (that has dual core cpu,SATA hard drive,SATA DVD-ROM and DDR2 RAM) and when DVD is booted this string is not working.
I have a new question, can i restore that back up into this type of pc?
(The original pc has IDE hard drive and DVD-ROM)
Thank you for your help.

What is the OS release number and what patches have been applied.

Release number is 5.0.7. Unfotunately i don't know about patches.
Please tell me how can i find them?
Thank you so much.

Run "custom" either by entering "custom" at a root prompt, or starting "scoadmin" and selecting Software.

You should have Maintenance Pack 5 "MP5" installed.
You can download the updates from UnXis Inc. | Support | Update | Download | Support

Note that the SATA drives should be set as "Legacy IDE" in the CMOS.

1 Like

There is no such pack installed.
This means that can not restore this recovery DVD on a PC that has SATA hard drive.is it true?
(When i trying to restore on the PC has SATA ,it try to examine the size of memory and when it passes, in the command line"Loading floppy image to memory" hults.what do you think?)
Thanks man

If it stops before it has completely loaded the kernel into memory, then there is always the possibility that the motherboard is incompatible.
Have you tried installing the operating system on this system or a similar one from the original media?

1 Like

Yes,I have downloaded .iso image of SCO Openserver a few days ago from SCO website and install it on that pc without any problem.

The dvd that you are trying to restore from has a specific set of drivers installed in the kernel. There is quite possibly a conflict between those drivers and the new motherboard.
At some point you should build a new system with MP5 installed and any other patches, and recreate the DVD.
You should also install MPX , otherwise the operating system will only use one of the two cores in the processor.

1 Like