Read mail attachments in AIX

Hello All,

Is there a way to read/view email attachments in AIX?

Here's my scenario; I have users that will being scanning documents for digital storage. To make it easier for the users, I would like for them to scan and email the pdf version of the document directly to one of my AIX servers. I can get the mail and attachment to the server no problem, but how to I read/extract the attachment?

This is not specific to AIX. You need a viewer program for specially formatted files and this is no exception. For PDF-files you need a PDF-viewer, like Acrobat Reader or one of the myriad of other programs. All the programs i know of are X-clients, so you need to take precautions that the server in questions is able to connect to your local X-server to display an X-client (you might need to add the server to the allowed client list locally with "xhost", allow the X-protocol over the firewall, create a tunnel for this or the like, depending on your environment).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

With regards to easy extraction and naming of attachments, the program I love is uudeview:

Index of /download/RPMS/uudeview

YMMV

the 'old way' to read your emails if you have mailboxes on unix server

telnet localhost port 110

--example
telnet localhost 110
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

user darth
pass vader
list <--- will show a list of mails with index number
retr 5 <--- will retrieve mail number 5

of course only ascii in the mail can be seen if you have attachment it will just print the garbage character equivalent. you can of course point office communicator email like outlook to server and download email to view attachment.

as a side note such old style mailboxes on unix is very hackable very unsafe if your organization is still using this cheap method.