Re-Generate error report

Hi
Is there a way to re-generate AIX error report after clearing it? I mean if I did errclear 0, Does the error log get erased? Is there a command that will get entries back in errpt?

I hope that made sense.

Yes, so there is no way to get that back - sorry.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Sorry bakunin, I beg to differ.

The /var/adm/ras/errlog file is not cleared, only the ability of the various commands, like errpt, is affected when you run errclear.

The /var/adm/ras/errlog is a sort of circular database so entries are only removed if the file is removed, or becomes full and then older entries are over written.

You might get some usefull info by running the strings command on the /var/adm/ras/errlog file, if not and you really need to see what is in the /var/adm/ras/errlog file them IBM support have a tool that will recreate the errpt from the entries that remain in the file.

Thanks dukessd

I can see that the /var/adm/ras/errlog is not empty. But running strings /var/adm/ras/errlog doesn't really generate any useful information. Even with the -a option. I guess I'll have to talk to IBM support then.

BTW, will running the command /usr/lib/errdemon help?
Thank you again. Really appreciate your input

try using diag

This is true. Sorry for misunderstanding the question, then, because in my wording "errorlog" means "the output of errpt, etc.", not the file /var/adm/ras/errlog itself.

There are some utilities which attach themselves to the output of the command rather than the files, so it will make a difference even if the content is still there.

Anyways, as O/P seems to be interested rather in the content i am glad you corrected on this one.

bakunin