Re-cluster 2 HACMP 5.2 nodes

Hi,

A customer I'm supporting once upon a time broke their 2 cluster node database servers so they could use the 2nd standby node for something else. Now sometime later they want to bring the 2nd node back into the cluster for resilance. Problem is there are now 3 VG's that have been set-up outside of the cluster. I've not had to do anything like this before so was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to do this? I've made sure both nodes can see all the vpaths needed for the VG's, and the cluster does seem to be in good health. The OS is AIX 5.2.

Thanks

First off, i suggest updating the OS to 5.3 if possible anyhow. 5.2 is not only outdated and no longer supported, it is also a nightmare of bugs and most of them are corrected in 5.3.

Regarding your question: you will need downtime for this: change the VGs to "enhanced concurrent", then varyoff them on their original system and do a "learning import" on the other system. (Corollary: do yourself a favour and make sure you have the same major number for the VGs across all your systems. This makes administration easier.)

Define your new resource groups based on these VGs then and do a "extended verification and synchronisation" via C-SPOC.

I hope this helps.

bakunin