RAID 0+1 Vs RAID 1+0

hi all...sudhansu here............ i need some help..........

what is RAID 0+1 and RAID 1+0.............what is the difference between them................

suppose i have 80 gb disk space,then which RAID level i follow n why......... i need redundancy n maximum storage..........please help

There's not a huge difference really. What software are you using to perform this mirroring?

To make use of either RAID0+1 or 1+0 you'll need at least 4 disks, do you have that many?

Basically RAID0+1 means that you concatenate two disks first (i.e. RAID0), and then you mirror the two RAID0 volumes (i.e. RAID1).

RAID1+0 is the reverse, i.e. you mirror two pairs of disks, and then you concatenate the two resulting volumes.

The RAID1+0 has some advantages in that if you lose one disk, you only invalidate half of one of the mirrors, so less time is required to resynchronise the data when the disk is replaced. It also means that you can lose one disk on one side, and another disk on the other side without any loss of service.

With RAID0+1, if you lose either disk in one of the concatenated volumes, you lose that whole side until the disk is replaced... which means that if you lose either of the two disks on the other side you have lost your entire volume. Multiple disk failures aren't very common, but they can happen.

So RAID1+0 has slightly better redundancy than RAID0+1. The performance and space efficiency of both is identical.

This site can be useful Why is RAID 1+0 better than RAID 0+1?

thanx for the detailed reply........