Raid 0 stripe size

I have a PERC 5/i card. Im using with it 3 15k rpm HDD's (model: SEAGATE Savvio 15K ST936751SS). Im going to install debian on this array.. and im looking for performance... So what would be the stripe size that i should set this raid 0 into to give me the best performance?

Thanks

In short: don't. RAID 0 gives you no redundancy or fault tolerance. Go with RAID 5 (or maybe RAID 1).

As for the stripe size: Dell suggests 128KB stripes.

I agree with pludi,
Better go for Raid 1 or Raid 5 ( for more usable space)

i do my backups on a raid 5 (3x500gb)... So this perc 5 card, has 3x 36g (15K) hds in raid 0, and a raid 5 of 3x500gb, where my data is going to go. So?? best stripe for raid 0? 128k?

---------- Post updated at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:39 AM ----------

any one?

What is the nature of your I/O? Predominantly random? Sequential? If you think it's a mix, then go 64K stripe size to split the difference.

mostly i do a bit of programing, web browsing and word preocessing.. So i guess that would be sequential?

Highly random. Mix read and write. 64K or smaller I would say.

Also, please tell me that your "backups" are also going to another spot other than just a RAID 5 set.

Yes, 32-64K would be good for non sequential (sequential would be something like linear video or audio files). 128K would possibly be ideal if your files are greater than 8MB on average.

However, as others have stated, RAID 0, while improving performance, will actually increase the likelihood of failure from even having 1 drive.

yup my "backups" are going into a external 1.5TB... I dont think the OS files are larger than 8MB.. So i guess 32k would be ideal?? i can go as low as 4k

Rather than ideal, I would say sufficient for what you are trying to do. Don't stress too much over that detail. You're striping across 3 drives. Ought to be fast.

32K it is then :slight_smile: thanks :slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:03 AM ----------

and for my raid 5 im using 128 :slight_smile:

You may also want to set, depending on your RAM, a read ahead of say 4MB or more as well as a stride in the file system that matches your work pattern.

i have 8gb of ram... Not sure what u mean

Are you running 64-bit debian? Why?

yes um running 64bit debian.. Why?? umm what should i use?

Just curious. Wondering what you needed such firepower for. :cool:

the prob is that this was my gaming system... So i was running windows and games at very high FPS :slight_smile: but now becaue of shool and work cant play much, so i just wanted to conver this system into a fast linux everyday workstation

You can set the amount of caching being done whenever a read is going on, but that will use more RAM.

the perc 5 it self has 512mb of ram.. u have any link giving more info about this?

the card may be doing its own read ahead and buffering for you, I am not sure enough about the firmware on the PERC card.

I know that in some cases, especially in software RAID, that a read ahead will increase performance in some cases where you were to do some linear reads and such where you read say 4MB ahead of where the target read is, as that will likely be called and you gather the data more efficiently.