"foreign" NIC on Sun Box

Hi,
I'm currently running NetBSD on my SUN Ultra5, but want to change to Solaris - now i don't know if my Intel Pro 100+ NIC ( 82559) is supported ? I'm using this (Pizza-)Box as a Gateway so the 2. NIC to the hme is necessary...

Yes, your network card is compatible. Just go ahead with your installation & have a nice time with Sun Solaris.

Chk out the List of Supported Devices

:slight_smile: Minaz

This is the HCL for x86 Platform and not for Sparc, so this was not much of help for me, but still thx for the effort

I would believe that SUN (or any company making and selling hardware AND software) would insure that you could only use their parts with their software. That way they insure that their company can survive and grow.

Solaris X86 would support your hardware as far as the card but would not work with Sparc processors. Solaris for Sparc would work with everything but the card (more than likely).

About the only thing you could do (if no one has a definitive answer) is backup the system, put Solaris on and see what happens. Or replace your card with one made/supported by Solaris for Sparc.

Components for Ultra 5

Thank You, RTM - that list was very helpfull !!!