Question about xterm session $HOME

Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer me

The fast & dirty question is... Could someone please tell me which file would open an xterm session into $HOME/Desktop instead of /$HOME?

The longer version is.... I was reading about login scripts when I noticed my SSH sessions logged into $HOME while my xterm session on the console logged into /$HOME/Desktop. Initially I figured I'd find something in either the /$HOME/.bashrc, /etc/bashrc, or /etc/profile to explain it.... Which I didn't find. I figured it must be specific to something xterm is doing so I looked through .xinitrc but didn't have any luck there either. I've spent half the day trying to figure out what puts an xterm session into /$HOME/Desktop but I'm having zero luck and my OCD is going crazy about it.

I'm on Centos 7 3.10.0-327.18.2.el7.x86_64 running as a Virtualbox 5.1 guest.

Thanks!

You could first check /etc/passwd for the user's login directory, which I guess is where the ssh session will start from. xterm should as well unless told otherwise by some resource file like e.g. /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm .

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!!

After digging around for a couple days I found a website that said Gnome 3 is implemented improperly on Centos/Fedora machines. I balked at the thought but that's the only thing I could find that specified the problem. I did find a tool that can be used to fix it but I forget the name. I have it written down somewhere.

Anyway... Thanks for taking the time to read my question and reply!

The parent process may have its current working directory in $HOME/Desktop. Are you opening an xterm icon on the desktop? Perhaps you can edit that icon and change the starting folder of xterm?

Andrew

1 Like