Question about setting up a hard drive for a videoserver under Linux

Hi there,

I'm currently preparing for an exam and came across a question that I don't really know how to answer.

"You want to set up a hard drive for a videoserver under linux.

• The videofiles will have a size of at least 10MB and a maximum of 8BG.
  • The hard drive has a disk space of 1TB.
  • You can choose one of the following block sizes: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024kB.

Which block size do you choose for the filesystem and what's the maximum number of I-Nodes you would need.

Additionally you also want to set up another filesystem for administrative data under the same conditions as above. The files have an average size of 150 Byte and the Filesystem is supposed to have a size of 100MB. Which block size do you choose."

I suppose the maximum amount of i-nodes for a 1TB hard drive is around 31M since there's 1 i-node created for every 32KB of space. But as for the block sizes, I have no idea what to choose.

Thanks in advance and cheers!

Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.

1 Like