Proper routing

I have a series of new machines that are internet facing (have IP's that are accessible via the 'net) and it has internal facing interfaces. I need to be able to communicate back to the internal network to a specific server which processes monitoring and e-mail traffic. I've been told that I should use the inside interface to pass back traffic so I checked it out today.

There is a route in the routetable that shows the path back inside and I am able to ping and traceroute the specific server so icmp is up however I'm unable to access ssh (not a big deal), e-mail or the monitoring port.

This info tells me I do have access (even if only icmp) however I don't have the necessary access for monitoring.

Anything I might have missed in my testing? More routing type info.

Carl

Something between your two boxes must be acting like a firewall and filtering out the traffic. (or the filter could be on one or both of the endpoints..like tcpwrappers). A tool that can help you figure it out is tcptraceroute

It sounds like your attemping to ssh a device on a seperate vlan so traceroute and ping works but you are unable to ssh.

I'm actually pretty sure it's a firewall issue. The servers are on the web-hosting firewall. I've requested access that matches other firewall settings so I can monitor these new servers. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some check or a routing command I needed to do to support this.

Thanks for the advise and for the tcptraceroute tool.

Carl