Problems with Xfree86

Hi to all!
I'm very novice in Unix/Linux.
I installed FreeBSD 4.10 in my pentium II 450mhz 64MB 4.300GB
more than 5 times and the error continues...
In the line mode i type "startx" (to enter in X)...but show me a message :
FATAL SERVER ERROR
NO SCREENS FOUND

X CONNECTION TO :0.0 BROKEN (EXPLICIT KILL OR SERVER SHUTDOWN).
XAUTH: (ARGV):1: BAD DISPLAY NAME "FREEBSD.VISABEL:0" IN "REMOVE" COMMAND

But i've sucess to enter X when iwas installing the system, but now...
Someone help me, because i want too much to enter in the world of Unix/Linux.:rolleyes:

Info of my bsd:
RELEASE DATE: 27 FEBRUARY 2003
X PROTOCOL VERSION 11, REVISION 0, RELEASE 6.6
BUILD OS: FREEBSD 4.10 i386 [ELF]
BUILD DATE 29 APRIL 2004
MODULE LOADER PRESENT

Thanks to all!:slight_smile:

You may need to post your XF86Config file.

And to remove the error XAUTH: (ARGV):1: BAD DISPLAY NAME "FREEBSD.VISABEL:0" IN "REMOVE" COMMAND put the following in youe /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1 freebsd.visabel

Israel,

Tell us how you configured X to begin with. Did you follow the "handbook" on freebsd.org? There they tell you to use

XFree86 --configure

as root and to follow the instructions on the screen to run your test X configuration. If that doesn't work, post the last 5-10 lines of error message you get from /var/log/XFree86.0.log (or its equivalent) and your XF86Config file (use the [ code ] or [ quote ] tags to make your output readable on this forum.

We also need to know what kind of video card is in that system.

Good luck,

Dave

I installed one more time FBSD, but don't configure the ethernet.
And the installation continues as normal. It showed to me the configuration of Xfree86 (before it doesn't happen), i choose the full Xfree86. After the installation, i tried command "startx" and...EUREKA!...the Xfree86 initializes and i jump more than 5 foots from the ground...:smiley:

But now, i don't know why in these last installation the Xfree86 initializes?!?!:confused:

And i want to connect in my job's Lan...:frowning: ...but how i skipped the configuration of ethernet in the installation of FreeBSD 4.10 i don't know how to install the network card...someone help me!!
Thanks to all!!

The easiest way for you would be to do:

/stand sysinstall

as root. Use the menu to configure networking.

Try reading the handbook, FreeBSD is a simple system to work with and it's very well documented.

I agree. All your questions are answered in the handbook: read it.

Sorry for the beginners questions:( ...
Thanks to all...