Problems with VIO O/S 2.2.3

I hope someone has experienced this problem before and can help. I have a P730 (8231-E2D) which is fitted with 8 IBM SAS disks on 2 separate SISSAS controllers. The disk type is ST9146853SS (Seagate SAS 146Gb).

The problem occurs when I try to install the VIO server software at 2.2.3. It fails to correctly install and the file systems (if they load at all) are corrupted with a lot of the .exe files missing!

I load it from a mksysb on the NIM server with the SPOT created from the mksysb. I have used the same mksysb this morning to build a VIO server on a P750 and it worked correctly

Anyone help please?

Perhaps there is a firmware pre-requisite. I'm not sure that there really are .exe files on AIX (that VIOS is built on) anyway.

If you have just bought a licence for VIOS, then you should be able to talk to IBM about the problems. If you don't have a licence, IBM will want to talk to you!

Robin (no, I don't work for IBM)

I have investigated further and have learnt a very useful but painful lesson. When you look at the P730 from the HMC you see two SAS controllers, 1 on P1/C8 and the other on P1/C18/T1. I stupidly assumed these were 2 seperate controllers but no it appears they are the same controllers and all disks are fitted to both! Where is the sense in that? Come on IBM answer that question!

Hi,

i use the IBM System Planning Tool to understand Your configuration and "problem".

1. Which Storage Backplane do you use (EJ0D, EJ0E or EJ0F) ?
  2. In all cases max. 6 SFF Drives are possible - do you use a additional IO-Drawer?

The IBM System Planning Tool shows that P1-C18 points to the SAS Controller and P1-C8 to the GX++ Slot.

Regards