Problems with "write" and "wall"

Hello,
I am using VirtualBox to simulate a small network with two Linux computers, the host is Mac OS X. My problem is that I can't send "write" and "wall" messages from the host to one of those Linux computers.

Here is what works:

• The virtual Linux computer answers "ping" messages that have been sent from the Mac OS X host.
  • Both computers can ping the router.
  • The virtual Linux computer can ping internet hosts like 173.194.34.136.

Here is what doesn't work:

• I can't send "write" and "wall" messages from the host to the Linux guest computer and vice versa.
  • The wall commands are dispatched, but not received.
  • The write command doesn't work as expected, because I'm a receiving a
    " user1 is not logged in on pts/2" although user1 is logged in
    in pts/2 (the Linux computer).

Here are my Linux cable connection settings:
IP-address: 192.168.0.102
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Router/Gateway-IP: 192.168.0.1
DNS-Server: 192.168.0.1

Here are my network settings in VirtualBox for this Linux installation:

• Bridged networking
  • PCnet-FAST III
  • Promiscuous mode: for all VMS and host

What might be going wrong here? :confused:

wall and write are for sending messages to local terminals. They do not send messages across the network.

Regards,
Alister

1 Like

Thanks. I also tried "talk", but the callee doesn't respond to the invitation.

Which commands could also be used to write some kind of simple network messaging script? Maybe netcat?

talk is positively ancient, and seems to use ancient BSD networking protocols no longer extant. If you can get it, ntalk seems the more modern equivalent.

1 Like

Thanks. Do you think that nc is a good candidate for writing a network messaging script?

on the your comp

# nc -l 44222

on the remote computer

# nc $REMOTEIP 44222

and as a differ idea maybe try this (must be ssh pub/priv key auth),but im not sure is the way,because of to me,
best way use the relate4d talk softwares for mac os or write a specific programme in any platforme (c,python...others)

# REMOTE=192.168.0.XXX;while :;do read -rp "Write-> $REMOTE..." MSG;ssh -T $REMOTE <<END
> echo "$MSG">/dev/console
> END
> done

regards
ygemici