Problems with batch files for Cygwin/rxvt

I'm trying to write batch scripts of the kind that start a Cygwin session in rxvt from the desktop, with the added feature that the session starts in a folder other than $HOME. I want to do this for two folders I use often.

According to the manpage, rxvt has a "-cd" command. Therefore, at first and second glance, the following should work.

@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin

start rxvt -display :0 -sl 2500 -sr -tn rxvt-cygwin-native -geometry 80x25 -font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-14" -e /bin/bash --login -i -cd /cygdrive/c/blu/newest/

exit

The results are that I see an RXVT window for about a blink or two, then nothing.

Is there something wrong with where I have the "-cd" command? Or should I 'bite the bullet' and register the two folders in Environment Variables or .bashrc? I'm thinking then I could use $NEWEST or $TG1 with the "-cd" command and both the OS and Cygwin would know what/where I was talking about.

Advice please on how to proceed.

BZT

---------- Post updated 21st Feb 2010 at 02:46 ---------- Previous update was 20th Feb 2010 at 12:53 ----------

My bad -- it's URXVT (rxvt-unicode) that has the "-cd" command. Wouldn't be a bad time for a bit of backward-inheritance, though, methinks.

Now with slight modifications to the batch file code in my original post to this thread, I'm getting "flashes" or "there-&-gones" by both the Command prompt and rxvt.

BZT

---------- Post updated at 02:46 ---------- Previous update was at 02:46 ----------

My bad -- it's URXVT (rxvt-unicode) that has the "-cd" command. Wouldn't be a bad time for a bit of backward-inheritance, though, methinks.

Now with slight modifications to the batch file code in my original post to this thread, I'm getting "flashes" or "there-&-gones" by both the Command prompt and rxvt.

BZT

---------- Post updated at 02:49 ---------- Previous update was at 02:46 ----------

Okay this ^^ has turned into an awful mess, and I'm not sure how it happened. Could someone please trim the above back to one reply and then delete this request?

BZT

...between the Cygwin mailing list and its archive on nabble.com.

See attached.

BZT

Ahhhh, pdf. 2 kilobytes of text in a 30 kilobyte ball. :wink:

Your email address is still visible in it despite your attempt at obfuscation. Sure you don't just want to copy/paste the message into code tags and edit it yourself?

Something to keep in mind for the future.

It might have been better to use my old "back-&-forth" method -- PDF to PSD, markup in Photoshop or the GIMP, PSD back to PDF via a Print to PDF command. Then again, your suggestion that I take the code directly from the email and tag it here works, too.

BZT

Why not re-encode it as a video? :wink: