Problems between a HP UX 11.31 Samba share and Windows 7...

Hi I have an issue with a client. He was able to use his mounted Samba share for a long time. However, a couple of days ago, he wasn't able to access all of his files all of a sudden. He still see's the share and majority of the files, but not some that he needs.

I checked with Secure CRT on my HPUX box and the files are there. I checked through the Command DOS prompt, and I can get to to the files. When I check through the Explorer, and try to see the files in the mounted directory, it doesn't see them.

The clients is a developer and his program uses the explorer to see it. They are .p files

Does anyone have any info on this.

User is a Samba share user and permissions on all these files are the same. We're using Samba 3.0.22...

---------- Post updated at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:18 AM ----------

I contacted HP Support on the issue and apparently there was a * file in the directory. I took it out and renamed it, and everything works fine now.

Apparently Windows 7 cannot handle wildcard characters in the directory structure!

It's a filename restriction inherited from CPM, so potentially almost 40 years old.

The following filenames may also be verboten:

CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL
COM0, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9
LPT0, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9.
1 Like