Problem with HPUX as NIS-Client

Hi all!

I am running an NIS Server with Linux. Now I want to configure a HPUX-Server to use this NIS Server. I have don all the configuration stuff exactly as described in the documentation.

When I run YPWHICH, it shows me the right server and domain. If I run YPCAT passwd, I'll get the correct passwd entries from the server. And if I am doing an su - NISUSER, it works very well.

But if I want to log in as NISUSER directly via ssh or telnet, I'll get an login incorrect.
I assume that there is something wrong with the password encryption. As far as I could find out the linux server is runnig on MD5 while HPUX runs on DES.
How can I get HPUX to do MD5 as well or is there any other way to resolve this problem?

Thanks
Peter

Is your HP-UX trusted System? If yes, NIS is not compatible with Trusted System, you have to use NIS+.

I don't think so. When I try to run e.g. the system security policies from the sam area Auditing and security, i'll get an error message that this system can't be converted to a trusted system. And if have done a cold installation of th os with the default settings especially the security settings i have left on default.

Or is there any other way to find out if my system is a trusted system?

The fact that you have a /tcb directory structures usually indicates that this system is trusted. Also look at the password file, if there is no password and you see a * sign, then the system is trusted system or the shadow password depot is installed and activated.

then i don't have a trusted system, because ther is no tcb tree.

But nevertheless i have solved my problem. It was caused by different encryption methods on the client and on the server. The server used the blowfish method. After i changed to DES everything works fine. The only thing i had to do was to reencrypt the passwords.

But if you know how i can change the encrytion method on HPUX.

Thanks,
Peter