PROBLEM: RSYNC and no user password "secrets"

OK, I am stuck and could use some help here.

I have a RSYNC script that I wrote to where I would like to have the users password "never" initiated. I been trying to get the /etc/rsyncd.secrets file to work, but keep getting error messages. But I think it has to do with the way my script is setup. Take a look at my script and fill me in on any ideas.

#!/usr/bin/sh

RSYNC=/usr/local/bin/rsync
PASSWD=~/.rsyncd.secrets
SSH=/usr/local/bin/ssh
KEY=/come/out/and/play/.ssh2/id_dsa_2048_a
RUSER=mickey
RHOST=disney
RPATH=/come/out/and/play/PROD
LPATH=/come/out/and/play/DEVL

$RSYNC -ae "$SSH -i $KEY" $LPATH $RUSER@$RHOST $PASSWD:$RPATH

Here is the error code I get when I run this script:

link_stat mickey@disney : No such file or directory
mkstemp  failed: No such file or directory
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(620)

Well any ideas would be greatful!!

-Thanks!!

Hi,

I don't know anything about rsync but as far as I know AIX, if you want to authenticate passwordless / with public key authentication than rather make the public key authentication working outside rsync (exchange the public keys between the boxes) and forget about the secrets file - as far as I understand the secrets file is only used to give a password for the authentication session - what would mean a clear-text-password, not a pointer to a public key.
Your mkstemp part is very likely failing because your ulimits are not set to unlimited on the destination host for the connecting user
Hope that helps,
kind regards
zxmaus

I totally agree with you and thanks for the eye opener. I started the public key setup but apparently I am having issues, if you have time could you check this out:

http://www.unix.com/aix/119048-ssh-publickey-authentication-not-working.html

Thanks!