Problem in starting: message shown is "disk out of space"

Hi all,

I was using centos on VMware platform. It is not getting started, as it is showing the following message:

GDM could not write to your authorization file. This could mean that you  are out of disk space or that your home directory could not be opened  for writing. In any case, it is not possible to log in. Please contact  your system administrator.

Can anyone help to figure out this problem. I really dont know what to do with this as I am unable to even login to the linux environment. :frowning:

Try logging in to a pseudo terminal, or via ssh to the VM, then post the output of ls -l /home and df -h

1 Like

I have no idea, how to log in into pseudo terminal.......
As, I am unable to reach to the prompt screen, df and ls commands are of no use.
Please let me know, how to approach to the pseudo terminal.

---------- Post updated 07-12-13 at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous update was 07-11-13 at 08:13 AM ----------

Thanks skrynesaver,

I pressed <Ctrl><Alt><F1>and get into textual login screen. From there I first check the memory status by using

df -h

and finally I cleaned my tmp directory which was overloaded. After that I entered into graphics log, first by log out by pressing <Ctrl>d and then a <Ctrl><Alt><F7> key combination for graphics login screen.

And now my system is working fine :slight_smile:

1 Like