Probably an easy SMIT question- "Unable to open temp file"

Hi All,

Can't find any documentation on the web for this anywhere, except about three web pages that are in Chinese.

When I enter SMIT on this box, I get

ERROR MESSAGE: Unable to open temp file

I suspected smit.log, but it is universal readable, writeable by root, and I am root.
Anyone come across this? What file is it trying to open?

Thanks much

Is the temp directory filled up (100%) or close to it? You might try deleting some of the files.

Either /tmp or any other filesystem SMIT might use: /var/tmp maybe or something such. Issue "df -k" and watch for numbers close to 100%. (Disregard /usr in this case, it is no problem if it is filled up to 95+%)

bakunin

Hmmm. Very odd....
/tmp is only at 11% used.

Nothing else is beyond 60%, except /usr which is at 97%.

However, the /tmp directory, which is rwxrwxrwt, will not permit creation of files.

I cannot

touch file

in /tmp. I tried aclget on the directory, it says extended permissions are disabled. Whatever is causing this, it seems to be the trouble.

When I try to save a file in /tmp, I get

Invalid file system control data detected

OK, this doesn't look too good.

unmount /tmp and do a "fsck -y" on the filesystem and/or the logical volume (i suppose that is hd3, but i am not sure, issue "lsvg -l rootvg" to find out).

If any errormessage comes up you cannot understand post it here. Have a look in the error-log ("errpt" and "errpt -a" respectively) and watch out for "HDISK3" and/or "HDISK4" type errors. These would indicate a harddisk failure.

After fsck-ing the filesystem remount it and try if that solved the problem. If not please write the symptoms along with the output of fsck here.

Good luck.

bakunin

Unfortunately this is a production box, and I am a new employee quite low in the scheme of things. Not at liberty to be unmounting filesystems on the fly- only tasked to load a software package and get out. Hellfire and damnation could befall me.

I have checked errpt and there are no outstanding errors with HDISK3.
This is a curious problem though- I seem to remember something like this many years ago happening, but can find nothing in my notes.

Root user not able to create any file in /tmp. One would think, these people would be having problems with their applications themselves on this server. At any rate I will report and investigate. Thanks!