printer problem - 10.48.2.24 is NOT an acceptable name

HP-UX 10.20 with an HP LaserJet P2015dn. I've connected and configured the P2015 using its internal nic on our Win 2003 Server network. When trying to add it to UNIX thru sam, network based printer plotter --> add printer/plotter connected to hp jetdirect --> add printer to local spooler, I enter the ip address and get the message back

!!10.48.2.24 is NOT an acceptable name!!
Either it is NOT a network printer or this host is denied access to it!

I've done this dozens of times with other printers without any problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks.

I recommend you CUPS. It is very nice print server.

I'm usually using it in mixed networks (LinuX+Unix+Windows) - it is working perfectly and very easy to configure.

Can you ping the printer from the server?
Can you telnet to the JetDirect port (I'm not sure what it uses) from the server?
Are you shuuuure it's the right IP address?
How about the subnet mask?
Do you want to print direct to it from UNIX, or have you considered setting up UNIX prin services on Windows, and then configuring the printer as an rlp device?

The telnet question pointed me in the right direction. Apparently, you cannot telnet to this model printer resulting in the error message I was receiving. To get around this, I was able to simply define the printer using the IP address of another known "good" printer, then modified the printer file in /etc/lp/interface with the correct address in the PERIPH= line.