Print field after pattern in all lines

data:

hello--hello1--hello2--#growncars#vello--hello3--hello4--jello#growncars#dello--gello--gelloA--gelloB#growncars#

I want to be able to print all the values that are found between the patterns "#growncars#" and the next "#growncars#" on the same line.

so the output should be:

vello--hello3--hello4--jello
dello--gello--gelloA--gelloB

The actual data will be much larger than what I provided above. but the goal is the same. i need to grab only the fields that are between that patterns.

i would like to use awk for this and hopefully it'll be a solution that is portable.

Hello SkySmart,

Could you please try following and let me know if this helps you.

awk '{match($0,/#growncars#.*#growncars#/);VAL=substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH);gsub(/^#growncars#|#growncars#$/,X,VAL);gsub(/#growncars#/,"\n",VAL);print VAL}'  Input_file

Thanks,
R. Singh

1 Like

Hi,

In sed:

echo "xy--#growncars#vello--hello3--hello4--jello#growncars#dello--gello--gelloA--gelloB#growncars#" |   sed -e 's/.*#growncars#\(.*\)#growncars#\(.*\)#growncars#/\1\n\2/'

Gives the output:

2 Likes

Why the scenic route with VAL?

awk '{gsub (/#growncars#/, "\n"); sub ("^[^\n]*\n", ""); sub ("\n[^\n]*$", "")} 1' file

EDIT:
Or sed :

sed 's/#growncars#/\n/g; s/^[^\n]*\n\|\n[^\n]*$//g' file
2 Likes

Try, works with current data

akshay@db-3325:/tmp$ cat f
hello--hello1--hello2--#growncars#vello--hello3--hello4--jello#growncars#dello--gello--gelloA--gelloB#growncars#
akshay@db-3325:/tmp$ awk '$0==p{s=1;next}s && NF; $0==p{s=0}' RS="#" p="growncars" f
1 Like

Hello SkySmart,

Could you please try following also once and let me know if this helps, with sample Input_file it is working fine.

awk -F"#growncars#" '{for(i=2;i<=NF-1;i++){if($i){print $i}}}'  Input_file

Thanks,
R. Singh

1 Like

Hello RudiC, could you please explain below highlighted part of code. sed :

sed 's/#growncars#/\n/g; s/^[^\n]*\n\|\n[^\n]*$//g' file

Love to:

s/              # substitute regex
^[^\n]*\n       # 0 or more non- <NL> chars (anchored at BOL) followed by a <NL>
\|              # OR
\n[^\n]*$       # a <NL> followed by 0 or more non- <NL> chars anchored at EOL
//              # empty replacement (= delete regex matches)
g               # the substitute is needed twice: one for BOL, one for EOL

I would have suggested a slightly simplified version of RavinderSingh13's 2nd suggestion (from post #6):

awk -F'#growncars#' '{for(i = 2; i < NF; i++) print $i}' Input_file