postfix connection timed out issue on centOS

hello everyone

i hav LITTLE issue, pending for just last week regarding postfix/sendmail server.
M not able to forward mail to outer domain.
I hav not configured DNS server uptill now, so nvr tried to receive mail from any domain, as i don require that as of now.
Can anybody suggest a lifeline for that, coz i don want to b a millionaire, just want to resolve this issue.

error: connect to c.mx.mail.yahoo.com[216.39.53.3]: Connection timed out

Mentionable: OS:- centOS 5.3
Postfix able to sendmail in inner domain
SELinux is disabled.
Port used to communicate is 25
Please tell the pattern if , if any, in detail, as i am new to linux.

thanks....

I am confused. Are you trying to use both Postfix and sendmail? You can use only one or the other but not both at the same time.

hello Murphy

Well the thing is, i hav tried installing both of them, not simultaneously, but failed with both to send mail to outer domain and having almost same issue...

Previously , i was trying with sendmail, then somewhre i read that sendmail is not a gud option for centOS, so i switched to postfix,and not able to get the required output with postfix as well and the error: connection timed out..

thanks

I am not getting any response too, by telnet the ip address of the receiver domain.

Whats cud be the issue...

Postfix, by default, will forward mail to authorized remote destinations only. Authorized remote destinations are defined with the relay_domains configuration parameter. The default is to authorize all domains (and subdomains) of the domains listed with the mydestination parameter.

Example:

relay_domains = $mydestination

What is your $mydestination set to?

Postfix, by default, attempts to deliver mail directly to the Internet. However your system may be behind a firewall, or it may be connected via a provider who does not allow direct mail to the Internet. In those cases you need to configure Postfix to deliver mail indirectly via a relay host. You should specify one (and only one) of the following:

relayhost =                               (default: direct delivery to Internet)
        relayhost = $mydomain            (deliver via local mailhub)
        relayhost = [mail.$mydomain]   (deliver via local mailhub)
        relayhost = [mail.isp.tld]           (deliver via provider mailhub)