pls help urgently....for SUNfire 280R

hi,
i hv received SUNfire 280R system ........for its initial configuration i want to connect to it through hyperterminal from the windows system..........i hv got one serial port to RJ-45 port converter with the system............can anybody tell me the normal console cable which is used to connect routers to windows system will work with this sunfire system................or can i use a COM to RJ-45 converter,a cable with RJ-45 connectors and the serial to RJ-45 converter to connect and configure it.......or what else can i do.............pls reply as soon as possible

thx
girish

All you need to connect over the console is a serial null modem cable - you might need some 9/25 and/or m/f converters but that's essentially it. Console settings are 9600baud, 8 bits no parity 1 stop (9600-8-n-1). This works fine with hyperterminal if you have the right cable. They key is that it must be a null modem cable, thats's got it I/O swapped.

I'm pretty sure RJ-45 doesn't come into it anywhere.

Yeah a null modem cable connected to the "A" serial port will work for you to configure your 280r.

I think that you are thinking os a serical adapter that has a RJ-45 connection on it to make a "pig tail". that works also. I have the pin outs for the adapter ifyou need them, but the null modem cable to a PC will work fine.

Jonathan

Also if you do not get anything to come up for you on the serial port, you will have to reset the defaults of the console to be redirected to ttya.

Where did you get this 280R?

Jonathan