pkgadd will not install solaris studio 12.3

I downloaded Solaris 10 OS on x86, SVR4 installer to my desktop and ran digest -a md5 on the downloaded file and the hash values matched. I then ran bunzip2 followed by pkgadd -d SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg and am getting the following error:

pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
    - bad format in datastream table-of-contents
pkgadd: ERROR: could not process datastream from </Desktop/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg>

I also copied the package to /var/spool/pkg and ran pkgadd from there to no good:

# pkgadd -r SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg
pkgadd: ERROR: no packages were found in </var/spool/pkg>

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I have to do to get this installed...

thanks!

try the fine documentation:
Installing the Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3 Software - Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3 Installation Guide

oddly enough i did read that doc but found nothing addressing use of or issues with pkgadd. just downloaded the suite again and will try again. if that does not work i'll go with the tar'ed bins. any known issues with the tared bins?

Hello,
where are you installing the package from? Move the file to /tmp and become root. Run the command there.

The file was located in /Desktop.

I rm'ed that file and downloaded it again but this time the file came thru with a different name, specifically, SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg.tar.bz2. Previously it was named without the "tar" node. Any way I unzip it and just for grins ran pkgadd naming the tarball and not unexpectedly it did not like it. Melted the tar ball which created the directory /Desktop/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg and tried pkgadd again but to no good. Inside the directory SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg was a shell script called solarisstudio.sh which i executed and which in-turn seemed to install the suite. Have not yet actually tried to do anything of note with it but it seems to be where I would expected it to be and the C compiler appears to work so I guess I'm good to go for the moment.

I did not mention this preiously but this install of Solaris 10 is in a VM, specifically VMWare Fusion 4.1.1. If I get a bit of time I'll create a new vm and try the install with the pkg in /tmp as I would like to get the pkgadd to install the suite as what was loaded appears to be basically the same thing as would have been loaded if the "bin" version of the suite had been installed and from what I've read the bin version can not be updated - just reinstalled I'm guessing.

Ok,
again move the file to /tmp.
Try the command below

bzip2 -cd SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -

Now do the package add. Also look at the README file. Usually there is instructions in there on how to apply the patch.

I put the downloaded file in /tmp as you suggested and ran the code above followed by
pkgadd -d SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg and got an error saying no package was found. I do not know what pkgadd is looking for in the SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg directory but it is not finding it. As before there is a shell script that will install Solaris Studio as is a script for applying patches.

What says

file SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg

?

Try this as root from /tmp.

pkgadd ./SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg

or

pkgadd -d /tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg

I was having issues upgrading java and openssl on some servers, but when I ran pkgadd from the /tmp directory I had a 100% success rate.

I hope this helps

---------- Post updated at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:01 AM ----------

Anther thought.
Is Solaris Studio installed on your server? Some times you need to remove the old version 1st. I had to do that when I install openssl.

Tried every varient of your suggestions and pkgadd was happy with any of them. What follows is the terminal session:

# pkgadd -d /tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg
pkgadd: ERROR: no packages were found in </tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg>
# file /tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg
/tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg: directory
# file SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg
SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg: directory
# pkgadd -d /tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg.tar
pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
- bad format in datastream table-of-contents
pkgadd: ERROR: could not process datastream from </tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg.tar>
# file /tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg.tar
/tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg.tar: USTAR tar archive extended format

In answer to your last question Solaris Studio has never been installed in this server.

Maybe the answer here is that Oracle/Sun did not set up this download for use with pkgadd eventhough it would appear that it was their intention to do so?

Try this as root.

cd /tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg
./solarisstudio.sh

If that don't work do the steps below.

Ok do this please

ls -ld /tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg

and this

ls -l /tmp/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg

post the output. If there is a readme file?

There is a possibility that you need to install it like you do for system patches.
Here is an example of how you install system patches.

unzip 10_recomended.zip
cd 10_recomended
./installpatchset  --s10patchset

The --s10patchset is a key that has be used to install the patches. There should be a readme file that will have this info if you need to do it this way. The instructions are usually near the end of the file.

Give me the output of the command below.

tar tvf SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg.tar

Sorry to ask this but do you have the right file? Maybe you downloaded a patch and not a installer.
Sometimes all you need to do to install a program in UNIX is to untar or unzip it. What is the command to launch the program?

I hope this helps.

The Solaris Studio download page at http: //www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/downloads/index.html?ssSourceSiteId=ocomen
provides two different file formats: 1. SVR4 packages; 2. tar file
The benefit of a tar file is that its easy to set up (just untar wherever you want, set your path variable to the Studio bin location, and your ready to develop. The down side is that there is no way to add any patches or have the packages been officially seen by the Solaris packaging software). In both formats, the product is tar'ed and then compressed so you will need to un-compress and un-tar before doing the actual install.

Just to make it easy, I'd suggest re-downloading the file that contains the SVR4 pkg format,
which is at: http: //download.oracle.com/otn/solaris/studio/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg.tar.bz2

and then run the command:

bzcat download_directory/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-pkg.tar.bz2 | /bin/tar -xf -

Then you should be able to do a pkgadd of the resulting directory. Of course, pkgadd requires you to be root to do the install so be sure to do that before running the pkgadd cmd.

hope that works for you.

bitlord,
the first line in you last post did the install and at this point it seems to be ok. thanks for your your help!

studio_oracle,
i downloaded the SVR4 package from Oracle Solaris Studio Downloads, platform: Solaris 10 OS on x86, SVR4 installer on x86, ran digest to get the md5 hash which compared to the one listed on the web page and followed the steps you list in your post with the exception that I always get an error when running pkgadd. ultimately i did as bitlord suggested in the last post to get it installed...

I got the line from the install guide DukeNuke2 linked to in an earlier post.

twk - yes, the install shell script seemed to be the trick. Glad you finally got it installed.