ping java.sun.com......

Hello Admins,

I am trying to ping Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE) : XML Schemas for J2EE Deployment Descriptors from my solaris 10 command prompt... But it's saying unknown host..

I can ping google.com and others... Internet is OK..

What might be the issue?

You don't ping a webpage, you ping an IP address or domain name. Get rid of the /xml/ns/j2ee

But I am able to ping the same site from another standalone workstation...I mean from my laptop workstation... (for verification)

Yes, ping is ICMP, echo and echo/reply, a child protocol of IP, not TCP (brother) or HTTP (nephew, child of TCP). Maybe the ping there ignores better.

1 Like

That might be but why the solaris workstation which is running on my vmware is able to ping the same site .... ?

But only the server in my environment is not able to ...why so?

Try looking up the addresses with "nslookup".
Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE) : XML Schemas for J2EE Deployment Descriptors is not a valid address for this purpose.

Even java.sun.com does not respond to ping.
sun.com does respond to ping.

I can only guess that you have some version of ping which simplifies the name (or an entry in /etc/hosts or local DNS which provides an IP address).

If you do need to ping an external server, keep it short! i.e. Use a parameter to ping to limit to say 2/3 packets. Please don't send continuous ping across the Internet.

1 Like

CAN anyone check adding to /etc/hosts will work??
I added to /etc/hosts and then i try to ping and it shows site is ALIVE...
Im not sure but it works...

ANY ADVICE SENIORS....want to is it good to go.....??

Adding an Internet host to /etc/hosts is a broken approach. It might be useful to fix a temporary name service issue but it is nothing more than a temporary workaround.

What is the problem you are trying to solve ?

Thanks Jlliagre...

im just trying to work on same issue, but i can ping when i add it to /etc/hosts,
is it ok to add??
Or you can help with another option....
thanks..

The correct way is to have the DNS properly configured.

Thanks again for replying ...jlliagre..

Im new to Solaris, can you help me with the proper way to configure DNS(step-by-step).

thanks again..

That depends. Is it a server (static IP) or a laptop/workstation (dynamic IP) ?
How are the other machines on your network configured regarding the DNS ?

Thanks jlliagre....

The issue is " user like to run a script on a server, and on this server when i try to ping
Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE) : XML Schemas for J2EE Deployment Descriptors, shows unknown host". Vendor mentioned The script gonna use this site to complete installation.

Let me know ::

1. why it shows UNKNOWN HOST from server when i tried to ping.
  2. If it is a Firewall BLOCK, how can i go ahead to fix firewall.
  3. if there is anything else.. please suggest me ...

thanks..

Pinging an http address doesn't make sense. Please clarify what you precisely do and how it fails.

Basic DNS client machine setup is always something like the UNIX /etc/resolv.conf to tell a host it's name servers (2 usually), plus possibly host name and domain and more: Man Page for RESOLV.CONF (All Section 5) - The UNIX and Linux Forums

This may be set by DHCP for dynamic clients. DNS clients send queries to one of their DNS servers, asking for recursion so the answer they get is either none-such or one or more answers, for the code calls gethostbyname() and reverse address getostbyaddr() (for validation of its clients -- a host may be a DNS client but an email server, for instance, and email SMTP servers do reverse lookup on each connection to 25, the value you see in mail headers in parens).

The configuration of DNS Servers and the structuring of domains to be served is a bigger topic. Most likely, your DNS servers are OK, or others would be complaining.