PHP Man Pages Now Available (Over 10,000)

Hello!

Yesterday we added over 10,000 PHP man pages to our man page section.

I've not yet got our unique and special recursive search feature working; but you can still access the PHP man pages directly by selecting PHP in the man sets drop down menu (left side) and then section 3 (right side).

I'll debug our unique recursive search functionality so these man pages will appear in recursive, deep searches as well.

FYI: Here is a quick list of the number of man pages in our XML site maps, totally 66197 publicly available man pages (the number is actually higher, but we don't put all the man pages in our XML site map).

php :   10455
linux :  9636
opensolaris : 18293
osx : 17941
freebsd : 7415
posix : 2457
total : 66197

In addition, we have aix and hpux man page sets available for moderators only because these sets do not format well on our linux-based server, for some reason, and it's not a priority to debug this small issue with aix and hpux man pages.

Here is a screenshot image of the man page for PHP "array":

2 Likes

Update: After a lot of work, I now have our recursive search feature working for PHP manpages, with the exception of apropos functionality for the PHP manpages.

The apropos functionality works for the other manpages, as it did before.

OK. I found out why apropos does not work for the PHP manpages.

apropos is dependent on parsing the formatted manpages to create the whatis database for each manpage set, as discussed in mandb

Where we see:

So, I used lexgrog on the PHP manpages and got the parse error; and when I examined the PHP manpages files, it's easy to see the pages are very poorly formatted (compared to "standard" manpages for linux and osx) and would require a lot of reformatting to get the parser to work so whatis would work, etc.

Hahaha... if anyone cares to reformat over 10,000 PHP pages so the lexgrog parser works on the PHP manpages, please raise your hand... otherwise, well will accept the fact that the PHP manpages will not be including in our recursive apropos (whatis) search.

Update:

I am in the process of completely removing these PHP pages from our Man Page Database.