Phantom space usage in /

Hi everyone,

Got an interesting one (well, interesting to me)

I have a box with a 5Gb / mount point. Checking for large files I found nothing and in fact when I did a full du I found that there was only 1.6Gb in use! And yet 100% used in /

So there's an unaccounted 3.4Gb somewhere!

The box isn't running oracle but I thought I'd check lsof |grep deleted anyway and found nothing in that mount point.

Did an inode check and only 14% of inodes are in use.

Any idea what i can do to track down phantom files or do you think I might just have to bounce the box and see if something has held some disk space open for some reason? I'd rather not bounce it as it's running a live service.

Thanks

This has been covered many times before.

Basically, what you are describing is what happens when someone removes a file that a process still has open. At some time in the past did you look for and remove a few large files? If so, did you kill off the processes that were reading from or writing to those files before you removed them?

Thanks Don, unfortunately I had already tried searching using lsof for anything like that.

In this case it was a mount point that had got itself in a weird state. It was still mounted according to df but wasn't actually mounted so the app was spamming the log in that folder which was now part of /

Got it sorted in the end :slight_smile: Weird that it was showing as mounted when it wasn't though.

I'm glad to hear that you found the problem.

Thank you for letting us know what you found.