Permission to Oracle server to create a directory in a particular path

i need to give permission to ORACLE SERVER to create a directory in a particular path.

How to do it?Oracle server is installed on SOLARIS

You need to identify the user running the Oracle Server and give that user the required permissions in the directory.

--ahamed

1 Like

Hi ,
Thanks.How to identify the user running the Oracle server?

Its a process, use the ps command

--ahamed

I am not able to get.
Can you give the command

ps -eaf | grep <process name>

You need to know your oracle server process name

--ahamed

Hi I thanks. I got this

usr_1 28962 28818   0 05:50:03 ?           0:01 oracle/product/10g/bin/sqlplus -s

I have logged into the unix environment as usr_1 only.
Can u suggest some method?

Check the permissions of the directory where you want this process/user to create new directories/files and use chmod to change the permissions accordingly.

--ahamed

hI AHMAD,
i also got this

ls -lrt  $ORACLE_HOME  
lrwxrwxrwx   1 oracle   100            8 Mar 10  2008 /var/opt/oracle/product/10g -> 10.2.0.1  

In the above case user is oracle

Check the permissions of 10.2.0.1

--ahamed

You mean

/var/opt/oracle/product/10g -> 10.2.0.1

Its permission and user is

lrwxrwxrwx   1 oracle 

For ls -lrt 10.2.0.1
it gives 10.2.0.1: No such file or directory

Ask your DBA what account the database runs as. If you are the DBA, ask the OS SysAdmin. If you are both, then ........ :eek:

You will need to know who runs the database, not the user running the SQL with the "write to directory" code in it.

Robin

1 Like

Probably database runs as oracle user and i use it as usr_1 user.
I am not the admin nor DBA :smiley:

Okay, well you will need to consult them to achieve this, assuming that you have the Oracle privilege to so this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Robin

Thanks for the reply.Can you tell what should i do

The account running the database (sounds like oracle for you) needs unix permissions to write to the unix directory in question. Within the database your account (seems like usr_1) would need to have the oracle system privilege CREATE ANY DIRECTORY

Of course, you have to consider that you are then taking datab out of the database and writing it in a plain file. Does this breach your security rules? Who else will be able to see the data? is there anything client on company confidential in it (e.g. bank accounts, contact details, medical stuff, corporate statements or financial investments etc.)

This latter point is not for me to draw a conclusion about because I don't know what business you are in, but we all have to consider the risks of exposing data, even to people we trust.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

1 Like

Thanks.:rolleyes: