Permission Denied issue on AIX 6.1 using Root

I have the following problem on my AIX 6.1 server.

I logged in with Root ID to this folder etc/opt/symantec/scspagent/lib/instfunlib I try changing the folder permission but I keep getting this output :

chmod: /opt/symantec/scspagent/lib/instfunlib: Permission Denied 

I did a listing on it by executing this command :

ls -lrt /opt/symantec/scspagent/lib/

I get the output :

/opt/symantec/scspagent/lib/instfunlib : No permission

I tried

chmod -R 755 /opt/symantec/scspagent/ 

I get this output :

chmod: lib: Permission denied

Does anyone know how they can assist me in this? I need to change the permissions to allow my application to work.

I am already running in root. Shouldn't that have full access to every folders and files in AIX already?

Please read your output

etc/opt/symantec/scspagent/lib/instfunlib does not equal

/opt/symantec/scspagent/lib/instfunlib

try

chmod XXX /etc/opt/symantec/scspagent/lib/instfunlib

Do you have NFS mounted filesystems in play here? Depending on the share, you may indeed not have permissions even though you are root on your client.

The man page for chmod has:-

... so your action seems correct, hence my question about NFS. I'm assuming that you haven't mounted the filesystem as Read-Only, by the way.

I hope that this helps,
Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Hi Guys,
I found the solution. There was an application called Symantec Critical Protection System that was preventing me from doing the changes. A policy was set from the application that wouldn't allow changes made on the particular folder and all of its contents.

Once the policy was adjusted, I am now able to execute my commands.

Thanks again for all your contribution. I cracked my head for 2 days trying to figure it out.