Perl + Oracle + bind_param_inout()

Hi. I'm attempting to assign a variable via a field that is using an autoincrement sequence. I'm trying to use the Oracle bind_param_inout() procedure to pass the value by reference. The code goes a bit like this:

my $sql=q(INSERT INTO MESSAGES (message_id, message_text, message_category, start_date, stop_date, admin_comments, time_submitted) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?) RETURNING message_id INTO ?);
my $sth=$dbh->prepare($sql);
die "Could not prepare query. Check SQL syntax."
unless defined $sql;
my $newMessageID;
$sth->bind_param_inout(8,\$newMessageID, 38);
$sth->execute('messages_id_pkseq.nextval', $messageText, $messageCategory, $startDate, $stopDate, $adminComments, $timeStamp);

By example, bind_param_inout seems to by far the best way to retrieve the value, but the examples I have seen so far all assume no arguments to sth->execute(). In this case I have arguments in my execute statement, and that seems to be where my issues lie. Apache returns:

DBD::Oracle::st execute failed: called with 7 bind variables when 8 are needed [for Statement "INSERT INTO MESSAGES (message_id, message_text, message_category, start_date, stop_date, admin_comments, time_submitted) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?) RETURNING message_id INTO ?" with ParamValues: :p5=undef, :p6=undef, :p3=undef, :p7=undef, :p1=undef, :p8=undef, :p4=undef, :p2=undef]

Wondering if anyone could shed some light as to why the DB is expecting the eight value (the ? after the RETURNING clause); it should be assigned via the bind_param_inout() function by my understanding. Could very well be something I am missng here though. There may be a way to pass it in the execute() statement as well. but just passing $newMessageID as the eight parameter returns an error. Thanks in advance for assistance.

Hello... I think you might have to pass some variable name for the in/out in your execute statement, but I'm not sure. Will follow along with you though as I'm going to need something very similar and I don't know how to do this... Thanks for the good question.

Thanks for the response quine. If you are still following, I slogged through this one and figured it out on my own. Apparently one can't mix and match binding parameters between the bind_param_inout statement and the execute() statement. If you use $sth->bind_param_inout(), you'll want to make sure that you bind all parameters that way, and have no arguments to $sth->execute(). Working great for me that way as of now.

Although, according to the 3k+ "expert" on the Oracle forum, "no one is using PERL for Oracle DB programming." Guess we are wasting our time.:cool:

Hello again...

So let me get this straight... You have to do something like....

$sth -> bind_param_in(1,\$messages_id_pkseq.nextval, 12);
$sth -> bind_param_in(2,\$message_text, 256);
$sth -> bind_param_in(3, ..... );

and like that for each of the parameters, then
$sth -> execute(); without parms?

Interesting..... Thanks...

As for perl for Oracle DB work via the DBI (which is I think what you are speaking of here), I have to admit that except for low-volume inserts/updates like summary records, or updating some status-of-a-job record and things like that, I don't use it much either. Something like what you are doing I would only do if the transaction rate is relatively low. Otherwise, you might consider input via sql+ and get the return value by assigning the result of a qx|| call to an array....

So you have a simple sql+ script that takes the VALUES in as parms and in perl you do something like....

(@IO) = qx|sqlplus -s login\/passwd\@DB scripttoexecute parm1 parm2... |;

The in/out parm should end up as $IO[0], etc.

The -s parm SILENCES sql+ so the normal stuff dumped to stdout doesn't end up in @IO, only what you want...

My syntax might be a little off... I'm writing this off-the-cuff as it were, and I'm a little rusty lately...

Indeed you are correct...a series of sth-> bind_param_inout() statements to bind all variables, and then no args to sth-> execute () and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the SQL+ tip and duly noted. The transaction rate will be very low in this case; this project is a .cgi workaround that assumes our Tomcat server is down and that our normal mechanisms aren't available. I doubt there will be more than a few transactions a week.