Patching

Hi all

Ive got 12 odd sun servers, running solars 8, 9 and soon 10. Have to admit I havent patched for years. Infact the last time I did patch a load of servers, sun provided you will a small script which would review the current patch levels, create a xml file that you would use on sunsolve to create you a bundle of relative patches. This was back in 2002.

So, what do I do now ?? Looking at the kernel patch levels, most of these servers are well out of date.

Whats the correct method to use now to patch ? Do I just go onto sunsolve, download the latest kernel bundle for solaris 8 and install ?

Or do I try and taylor a patch bundle for my individual installation ??

Do Sun provide a small script to help me ?

Cheers

SBK

Download the recommended patch cluster from sunsolve and apply.
You might want to upgrade your system firmware level too, which can be downloaded as well

Why not just use pca and be done with it :wink:

Patch Check Advanced

I can just imagine how irritating it must be to patch those servers, especially since they have not been patched for years.

Are you familiar with xVM Ops Center 2.1 by any chance? It's Sun new product which is great for patching and provisioning. It has an intelligent knowledge base and it makes the patching scalable and automated. You might want to take a look at it.