Password without numeric characters

G'day guys,
Just a simple question:

Is it possible to set user's passwords without numeric characters?

I prefer to have passwords as simple words, but when going through SMC, i get an error that the first six characters must contain at least 2 alphabetic and 1 numeric.

Server is a Sun Solaris 10

Thanks
Chris

If I'm correct, SMC is Solaris Management Console, which AFAIK, is gui tool, then I would assume that changing the password via "passwd" command won't have such limitaion ?

I choosed "testtest" as password.
Ah yes, I just saw Perderabo's posting, my suggestion assumes that you are the root user, and you have no concerns of using plain word as pass.

It may be possible for root to do it. It depends on what kind of password database is in use. If the encrypted passwords are stored in local files, then certainly root can overcome these restrictions. But simple words as passwords is not a good idea at all. Such passwords are very easily broken. In any event, a non-root user cannot force the use of a weak password. Only root has a possibility of doing this.

Edit: these restrictions are builtin to the passwd command are are documented on the passwd man page

brilliant ill give that a go

no. no concerns of using plain words. theres a big firewall blocking everyone else on using the servers, so its quite safe.

much appreciated sysgate and perderabo